This is a part of Spain that most tourists don’t get to and that’s a real shame! This is mostly because to really experience the best of Spain’s southwest Jamón Ibérico country one has to really know where to go, whom to see and what is best to eat and drink. The rewards, however, are truly great as there is no better eating and drinking anywhere and the country is beautiful and full of history too! The good news is that Gerry and Doc know the right people and know the country. Come on this the second Docsconz Culinary Insider’s Tour of Spain featuring Mr. Spain, Gerry Dawes!
Gerry Dawes & Docsconzo Insider’s Barbecue Pitmasters & Gastronomers Pig Plus (Jamón Ibérico, Roast Suckling Pig, etc.), Extremaduran Cheese, Andalucian Seafood and Sherry & La Mancha Taste of Spain Tour
Nov. 9 – 20, 2016
$4,995* per person; $5,995* single supplement (without airfare)
(*Based on a minimum of 16 travelers; see What to Expect section of this offering.)
Join award-winning Spanish gastronomy, wine and culture expert Gerry Dawes and super gastronomy blogger John Sconzo for an exclusive and insiders’ culinary journey meeting chefs and winemakers, and experiencing the restaurants and culinary specialties of Central, Western and Southern Spain with a focus on the phenomenal pork products–supernal Ibérico hams of Western Spain, cuts of grilled fresh Ibérico pork and brick oven-roasted suckling pig.
Gerry Dawes has been exploring Spain for more than 40 years and was awarded Spain’s National Gastronomy prize in 2003. John Sconzo has made a half a dozen trips to Spain with Gerry, more than that on his own.
Visit the great cities and towns of Madrid, Segovia, Ávila, Salamanca, Cáceres, Trujillo, Mérida, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Cádiz, El Puerto de Santa María, Sevilla, Ronda, Córdoba, Toledo, and Chinchón
- Visit Madrid’s world famous Prado Museum.
- See the 2000-year old Roman aqueduct in Segovia and have roast suckling pig at a great classic restaurant in the shadow of this monumental Roman achievement
- See the incredible Medieval walled city of Ávila and the great Plaza Mayor and Roman Bridge of Salamanca and sample Guijuelo’s superb jamones Ibé
- See the exceptional Medieval quarter of Cáceres and sample Torta del Casar cheese and sample more jamones Ibéricos from la Dehesa de Extremadura.
- Stay in Trujillo, where a statue of Francisco Pizarro in the Plaza Mayor commemorates the conqueror of Peru.
- Roman Mérida with its stunning Roman bridge, Roman monuments scattered throughout the city, Roman theater and amphitheater and museum.
- Visit a unique producer of foie gras that comes from geese who fatten themselves without force feeding.
- Visit Jabugo in northwestern Andalucía and sample the jamones this town is justly famous for.
- We will visit the stunningly beautiful city of Carmen, Sevilla, where Gerry lived for nearly six years in the old Jewish Quarter.
- Stay in Sanlúcar de Barrameda, the wonderful river and sea port and Sherry town, where Manzanilla Sherry and seafood tapas reign supreme.
- Tour Cadiz’s colorful market, have dinner at one of world’s most innovative seafood restaurants, Aponiente.
- Visit the legendary Mezquita in Córdoba and yet another mighty Roman bridge, then the Imperial city of Toledo, where El Greco painted many of his most famous paintings, then relax the final evening of the trip in in the magical Plaza Mayor of Chinchó
- All along our journey, savor wine, tapas, and regional specialties with one of the world’s top Spanish food and wine experts, Gerry Dawes, who also introduces us to personal friends at wineries and restaurants along the way, and John Sconzo, whose popular blog on world gastronomy and chefs is one of the top information sources for food aficionados around the country.
Click on the link below for the trip details and contact sheet.
Space is limited!
See these posts to get a taste of parts of the planned itinerary: